Who Should Talk More, You or the Client? Business Development Myth #4.

Home / Asking for Business / Who Should Talk More, You or the Client? Business Development Myth #4.

New Business Development Myth #4, Client’s want you to do most of the talking! Nothing could be more “untrue.” Keep your resume to yourself and let the potential client do the talking. Adopt the old IBM 60/40 sales training rule — keep them talking 60% of the time and spend the remaining 40% asking good questions based on your pre-meeting research.

Pay attention to the prospect/client’s verbal cues, and refine your pitch accordingly.

Comments(0)

Leave a Comment